Ties in Tournament Standings

Discuss and exchange ideas on running tournaments.
moradoc

Ties in Tournament Standings

Post by moradoc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:08 am

Can the system handle ties? How does that work for scoring? If there are no ties in standings, should TOs resort to obscure tiebreakers? Like coolest shirt? Newest shoes?

ultracommander

Re: Ties in Tournament Standings

Post by ultracommander » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

To resolve ties, I do the following in order -

1. Strength of Schedule (add up the final position of each players opponents and the lowest score had the strongest schedule)
2. Wins
3. Favorite Opponent Votes
4. Rock, Paper, Scissors (best 2 out of 3) or a Dice Off.
Keith Gilmour
Minneapolis MN

USChris

Post by USChris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

ultracommander wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am
To resolve ties, I do the following in order -

1. Strength of Schedule (add up the final position of each players opponents and the lowest score had the strongest schedule)
2. Wins
3. Favorite Opponent Votes
4. Rock, Paper, Scissors (best 2 out of 3) or a Dice Off.
I use the same list that Keith does. Strength of Schedule is fast and easy since you have the Final Scores for everyone in front of you. That usually breaks most ties. I have never had to get to Rock Paper Scissors.
Chris Fretts
Able Kompanie
Indianapolis, IN

Underground Warren

Post by Underground Warren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

I’m a reasonably competitive guy, but I think we often get overly concerned with ties.

After first place, I usually just leave them as ties. Strength of schedule has worked for me just like Chris described as well.

I find schemes to “separate the players” do more to create problems than solve them. The worst are hyper granular sports scores and paint scores that result in several rankings being gained by one player over another when they were both fun to play, good sports, with nicely painted armies.

Sure, the TO gets his problems solved, but IMO it takes away from the fun.

moradoc

Post by moradoc » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 am

These are all great suggestions, but I suppose I should have been more specific. When submitting to the rankings spreadsheet, can it still calculate properly with ties? Or does it only use the order of names to generate points?

BR_Joe Lewis
Site Admin

Post by BR_Joe Lewis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 am

moradoc wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 am
These are all great suggestions, but I suppose I should have been more specific. When submitting to the rankings spreadsheet, can it still calculate properly with ties? Or does it only use the order of names to generate points?
When filled out correctly, the ranking spreadsheet handles ties. The order is based on the position column.

Example:
A 10 person tournament where two people tired for third, the results would look like this...

The forth position is skipped.

In the near future, I am planning to write a piece on different methods of handling tie breakers .

Hope that helps,
Joe

Chairborne

Post by Chairborne » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

When I'm running the show, I prefer to put the ranking like this.

# of wins is the base. In a three round tournament it is usually meaningless. It has come into play in 5 round tournaments.
1st Tie breaker: # of Victory points.
2nd Tie Breaker: Strength of schedule.
3rd Tie Breaker: Best Sport.
4th Tie Breaker: Best Painted.

This year at Advance the Colors we ran things a bit different than normal. As it was a three round event verses our normal five the member of our group that did the leg work decided that Strength of Schedule would be the 4th tie breaker. From what Andrew told me, it still would not have mattered as Chris had a slightly tougher schedule.